If you have a Dell laptop, it cannot be too careful to set a power-on password for it to guarantee its safety. Now here in this article, we will focus on three means to allow you to set a power-on password for your Dell laptop. Having known how to set a password already, you’d better know how to cancel it meanwhile to avoid unnecessary troubles.
Broadly speaking, power-on password can be divided into three types: Windows login password, system startup password and BIOS password.
Set and Cancel Windows Login Password for Dell Laptop
Windows login password is one of the most commonly adopted and most familiar shields against unauthorized access. It is the easiest to set and cancel just roughly like the followings:
1. Enter Control Panel.
If you run Windows 7/Vista/XP, you click Start button and then select Control Panel.
If you run Windows 8.1/8, you can press Windows + X keys to bring up Start menu and select Control Panel.
2. Click User Accounts and Family Safety link > User Accounts link > Select your target account.
3. Click Create a password link.
5. Click Create password button to save the changes.
If you want to cancel the Windows login password you set, you can cancel it just similar to you create one.
1. Do as the above 1 and 2 steps.
2. Click Remove the password link.
3. Click Remove Password button in the Remove a password screen.
Set and Cancel System Startup Password for Dell Laptop
System startup password is more secure one to ensure the safety of your system. It will be prompted instantly you power on your Dell laptop before the system can even boot up and load the operating system. Only after you input the correct system startup password, can you enter the Windows login screen and login with the correct user name and login password. Thus, your system has double protection.
1. Open Run box.
Click Start button and choose Run if you run Windows 7/Vista/XP.
Press Windows + R keys simultaneously to open Run box if you run Windows 8.1/8.
2. Type Syskey in the Run box and press Enter key.
3. Click on the Update button in the Securing the Windows Account Database dialog box.
4. Select Password Startup in the Startup Key dialog box. Input a password you decided and confirm it.
5. Click OK button to save it.
If you want to cancel the system startup password you set, you can cancel it just similar as you set one.
1. Do as the above 1 – 3 steps first.
2. Select System Generated Password in the Startup Key dialog box.
3. Select Store Startup Key Locally option.
4. Click OK button and input the current system startup password to save the password to the hard drive.
Set and Cancel BIOS Password for Dell Laptop
1. Boot up your Dell laptop and enter BIOS Setup Utility by pressing F2 key.
2. Use arrow key → to choose Security tab in the BIOS Setup Utility screen.
3. Under the Security tab, you are allowed to set two types of BIOS password, Set User Password and Set Supervisor Password respectively.
Supervisor Password controls access to the setup utility, which means that you have to enter this password whenever you are trying to enter BIOS Setup Utility and make any BIOS setting changes.
User Password controls access to the system at boot, which means that you have to enter this password whenever you are trying to start the system.
4. Press Enter key to input a desired Supervisor Password, confirm it and then press Enter key to continue.
Note: Set Supervisor Password option is selected by default, and if you cannot move to Set User Password option, it means that you have to set a Supervisor password first.
5. After you have set a supervisor password, you can move to Set User Password option. Use arrow key ↑ to select Set User Password and press Enter key.
6. Input, confirm your desired User Password and then press Enter key to continue.
Note: When you see that the status of Supervisor Password and User Password changes from Clear to Set. You have set a password for your system at boot successfully.
7. Press F10 key to save the changes and exit the BIOS Setup Utility.
If you want to cancel the two types of BIOS passwords you set, you can cancel them just similar as you set them.
1. Boot up your Dell laptop and press F2 soon and repeatedly to enter BIOS Setup Utility.
2. Enter the Supervisor Password you set when you trying to enter BIOS Setup Utility.
3. Use arrow key → to choose Security tab in the BIOS Setup Utility screen.
4. Select Set User Password or Set User Supervisor Password option and press Enter key.
5. Enter you current password. Later press Enter key twice directly when asked to enter new password and confirm new password.
6. Press Enter key to continue and then you will see the status of Supervisor password or User Password changes from Set to Clear.
7. Press F10 key to save the changes and exit BIOS Setup Utility.