In my last article: How toReset Windows 7 Password without Disk (1), I have introduced some most easy and common methods to reset Windows 7 password if have no Windows password reset disk created before. And now in this How to Reset Windows 7 Password without Disk (2), let’s take a deeper look at it.
Method Three: Reset Windows 7 Password with Windows Installation Disk
What you need is a Windows installation CD/DVD. It could be a Windows 7/Vista/XP CD/DVD. Besides using an installation disk to install or reinstall Windows system, it can be used for many other purposes including password reset.
1. Boot Windows 7 computer from the installation disk.
Insert Windows installation CD/DVD into the locked Windows 7 computer and restart it. Press corresponding boot menu key prompted to enter Boot Menu and then select CD-ROM Drive option as the boot device to boot from.
2. Select your target language and click Repair your computer link.
3. Select Command Prompt option to open Command Prompt window.
4. Execute commands to backup sethc.exe file and replace it with cmd.exe file.
Backup the original sethc.exe file with the command: copy d:\windows\system32\sethc.exe c:\ and then press Enter key.
Replace sethc.exe file with cmd.exe file with the command: copy /y d:\windows\system32\cmd.exe c:\windows\system32\sethc.exe and then press Enter key.
5. Close the Command Prompt window, exit your installation disk and then reboot your Windows 7 computer.
6. When it comes to the login screen, press Shift key 5 times successively to open Command Prompt as administrator.
7. Reset Windows 7 password with cmd.exe command. Type in the command: net user User-name New-password and press Enter key to reset Windows 7 password. For instance, type net user Asunsoft 123456 if you want to reset the password to the user account Asunsoft to 123456.
8. Then you can log in your Windows 7 computer with the new password. After you log in, remember to restore your replaced sethc.exe file by redoing 1 and 2 to open Command Prompt window again and to replace cmd.exe back with sethc.exe. Or else, it may run certain errors.
Method Four: Reset Windows 7 Password with Ubuntu
Ubuntu, like other Linux operating system, allows you to make an Ubuntu Live CD with which to reset forgotten or lost Windows 7 password without Windows password reset disk created before.
1. Use another computer to download Ubuntu and install it.
2. Burn Ubuntu image file to a CD/DVD to make an Ubuntu Live CD.
3. Transfer the made Ubuntu Live CD to your locked Windows 7 computer, start or restart it. While it starting up, press corresponding key prompted to enter Boot Menu and select CD-ROM Drive option to boot from.
4. When the computer booted from the Ubuntu, you select “Try Ubuntu” option.
5. Click Places menu and then select hard drive for your Windows 7 to load the Windows 7 hard drive to Ubuntu.
6. Expand the folder Windows and then folder System32.
7. Locate the file named Utilman.exe file and rename it as Utilman1.exe.
8. Locate the file named cmd.exe file, right click on it and select Save a copy option and then rename it as Utilman.exe.
9. Now restart your Windows 7 computer.
10. Press Shift key 5 times to open Command Prompt window when it comes to the login screen.
11. In the Command Prompt window, type in the command: net user User-name New-Password to reset your Windows 7 password. For instance, type in the command: net user Asunsoft 123456 if you want to reset the password to the user account Asunsoft to 123456.
12. Now you have reset your Windows 7 password successfully and can login it without password.
There are other more ways to reset Windows 7 password without Windows password reset disk. Please add other ways you know to make it as complete as possible for our Windows 7 users.