Hi, there! I have forgotten windows 2008 R2 local admin password, the server is not in domain, is there any way to reset local administrator password?
This is a question raised from Windows Server General Forum, so have you encountered the same problem and are seeking for solutions? Here introduce two effective options to reset local and domain administrator password for Windows Server 2008 R2 sparing you from worry about Windows Server 2008 R2 password forgetting problem.
Option 1: Windows Server 2008 R2 Installation Disk/ISO Image File
Using Windows Server 2008 R2 installation disk/ISO image file to reset forgotten Windows Server 2008 R2 local administrator password is the built-in method in Windows Operating System.
1. Boot the locked Server from the Windows Server 2008 R2 installation disk/ISO image file.
2. Choose preferences like language and then click Next button to go on.
3. Click on Repair Your Computer link.
4. Select your Partition and Installation Version and then click Next button.
5. Click Command Prompt link.
6. Type in the command: MOVE D:\windows\system32\Utilman.exe D:\windows\system32\Utilman.exe.bak and press Enter key to back up the utilman.exe file first.
7. Next type in the command: COPY D:\windows\system32\cmd.exe D:\windows\system32\Utilman.exe and press Enter key to copy cmd.exe file and rename it utilman.exe.
8. Close Command Prompt window and restart your Server. When it comes to the login screen, you click the icon of Ease of access to enter Command Prompt window again.
9. Type in the command: net user administrator Asunsoft@2012 and press Enter key to reset your forgotten password to Asunsoft@2012.
10. After login in with the newly reset password, remember to delete the Utilman.exe file and rename Utilman.exe.bak file back to the original Utilman.exe under corresponding directory.
Option 2: Freshly Create a Windows Server 2008 R2 Password Reset Disk
If you cannot find your Windows Server 2008 R2 installation disk compatible or you have failed in its operations, you can turn to this option for its easier operations comparatively.
1. Get Asunsoft Windows Password Geeker Advanced, download it and install it on another accessible computer first.
It is powerful and almighty to reset local and domain password for all Windows system including Windows Server 2008/R2.
2. Run the installed Asunsoft Windows Password Geeker to create a Windows password reset disk following its instructions.Choose USB device or CD/DVD as the media to burn the password reset disk.
Insert a USB flash drive or CD/DVD disk accordingly, select it from the drop-down list and then click Begin burning button.
Click OK button when Burning successfully and then you can take it out.
3. Insert the burned USB flash drive or CD/DVD disk into your locked Server computer and set it boot from the disk.
If you use USB flash drive, see How to Set Computer Boot from USB Flash Drive via Boot Menu or BIOS.
If you use CD/DVD disk, see How to Set Computer Boot from CD/DVD-ROM via Boot Menu or BIOS.
4. When your computer booted from the created Windows password reset disk, you come to the password reset interface now.
Make sure the system is Windows Server 2008 R2 if there is more than one system installed.
Select the target administrator account you forgot its password.
Click Reset Password button and click Yes button to reset its new password to Asunsoft@2012 by default.
Click Reboot button when you see the password has been reset as Asunsoft@2012，eject your USB flash drive or CD/DVD disk first to prevent the computer booting from it again and then click Yes button to restart.