So far, Windows 7 is still estimated the Operating system owns the most users around the world. You must have been very familiar with Windows 7 system already, but I bet you may still be stunned when you know that there could be so various ways to reset Windows 7 password when without disk.
As well-known, password reset disk created from Control Panel is the easiest and most convenient way to reset Windows 7 password if users forgot their password, but unfortunately many users take it for granted. Now let’s suppose that you didn’t have created a password reset disk for your Windows 7, then how to reset Windows 7 password without disk? Here I make a list for you. Open your eyes and pick the one you interested.
Method 1: Reset Windows 7 Password via Accessible Administrator Account
If you forgot your Windows 7 password, but you can access to any administrator account, then so lucky you are. You can have the following options:
Option 1 of 4: Reset Windows 7 Password from Control Panel
1. Log in to that accessible administrator account.
2. Enter Control Panel by clicking Start button and then selecting Control Panel.
3. Select User Accounts and Family Safety, then further User Accounts option.
4. Choose Manage another account option on Make changes to your user account interface.
5. Select the user account you are going to reset its password.
6. Select Change the password or Remove the password option.
7. Input and confirm the new password to reset the forgotten password or just click Remove Password button to remove forgotten password.
Option 2 of 4: Reset Windows 7 Password from Local
Users and Groups
1. Login to that accessible administrator account.
2. Click Start button, input lusrmgr.msc in the search box and press Enter key to open Local Users and Groups window.
3. Expand Users folder and you will see all the user accounts on your computer.
4. Right click on the target user account and select Set Password option.
5. Click Proceed button to input and confirm a new password.
6. Click OK to save all the changes.
Option 3 of 4: Reset Windows 7 Password from Command Prompt
1. Login to that accessible administrator account.
2. Click Start button, input Command Prompt and press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys to open Command Prompt as administrator.
3. Type the command: net user and press Enter key to list all the user accounts on your computer.
4. Type the command: net user Username NewPassword and press Enter key. Replace Username with the target user account you want to reset its password and NewPassword with the new password you desire.
Option 4 of 4: Reset Windows 7 Password in Safe Mode
1. Start or restart Windows 7 and press F8 before Windows starts to enter Advanced Options Menu.
2. Select Safe Mode with Command Prompt option and press Enter key.
3. When it comes to the login screen, you select the Administrator account to login whose password is blank by default if you didn’t change it.
4. Now you are in Command Prompt window. Type the command: net user and press Enter to check all the user account on your computer.
5. Type the command: net user Username NewPassword and press Enter to reset that username’s password. For instance, to reset the password of Asunsoft to 123456 by typing the command: net user Asunsoft 123456.
6. Close the Command Prompt window and restart your Windows 7 computer when you see the prompt that the command completed successfully.
Method 2: Reset Windows 7 Password with Third-Party Tool
When there are no alternative and available administrator accounts on your Windows 7 computer or you are totally locked out of it, resorting to a third-party tool to reset Windows 7 password is a good choice.
Speaking of third-party tools, there are seas of both free and commercial Windows password recovery tools. Here I will only pick typical one respectively to illustrate. If you are interested, you can explore more by yourself later.
Option 1 of 2: Reset Windows 7 Password with Ophcrack
Ophcrack can be said the best free Windows password recovery tool. It works well on Windows 7/Vista/XP. It comes as iso file and proceeds password recovery automatically. What you have to do is to follow the instructions to do the preludes.
1. Use another computer to free download the Ophcrack ISO image. Click Download Ophcrack LiveCD button. On the next page, select ophcrack Vista/7 LicveCD to download.
2. Burn the downloaded Ophcrack ISO image file to an available CD/DVD to create a Windows 7 password recovery disk.
3. Insert the CD/DVD into your Windows 7 computer and set it boot from the CD/DVD. Start or restart computer, press corresponding boot menu key as soon as possible to enter Boot Menu. When in Boot Menu, select CD/DVD-ROM option as the boot device.
4. When the computer boots from the Ophcrack password recovery disk, Ophcrack will run automatically and locate and recover the password for all user accounts on your computer.
Note: Under the NT Pwd column
Blank means the password has not been recovered yet.
Empty means that you can log to that account without a password.
5. When your Windows 7 password recovered successfully, remove the Ophcrack LiveCD disk, restart your computer and then you can log in to your Windows 7 computer again.
Option 2 of 2: Reset Windows 7 Password with Asunsoft Windows Password Geeker
To reset Windows 7 password, you can choose Asunsoft Windows Password Geeker (Person/Professional/Advanced) and Asunsoft Windows 7 Password Geeker. Compared with Ophcrack, it is safer, easier and has higher effective rate.
1. Use another computer to download Asunsoft Windows Password Geeker (Person/Professional/Advanced) or Windows 7 Password Geeker and install it.
2. Insert a USB flash drive or CD/DVD disk, run the software and follow on-screen instructions to burn it into the USB flash drive or CD/DVD disk.
3. Transfer the burned USB or CD/DVD disk into your locked Windows 7 computer. Start or restart it, press corresponding boot menu key to enter Boot Menu and select Removable Devices or CD/DVD-ROM option to set it boot from USB flash drive or CD/DVD disk.
4. The Asunsoft Windows Password Geeker runs automatically when computer booted from the disk. You select the target user account and click Reset Password button to reset its password to Blank.
5. After the password has been reset to Blank, you click Reboot button. Reject your USB flash drive or CD/DVD disk and restart your computer. Then you can log in your Windows 7 without a password.
Tip: There are other highly-recommended effective Windows password recovery tools.
Now here in this article, I have listed two most easy and most common way to reset forgotten or lost Windows 7 password when without Windows password reset disk. In the next article, I will introduce several effective methods but may not that well-known to you. To be continued.Look forward to my How to Reset Windows 7 Password without Disk (2).