When forgot admin password for signing in to your Microsoft Surface Pro 3 running Windows 8.1, what are your options? Reset the forgotten Windows 8.1 admin password or factory restore your Surface? I think most people would like to choose the former, instead of performing a factory restore which will cause losing all data.
A Password reset disk should be the easiest way to reset/remove Windows 8.1 admin password without losing any data on your Surface Pro 3. And there are two different kinds of reset disks you can choose from.
- A password reset disk previously created before password forgotten.
- A password reset disk you create after password forgotten.
Following see how to reset Windows 8.1 Admin password on Surface Pro 3 respectively with the 2 kinds of reset disks.
Way 1: Use previously created password reset disk
If you have previously created a password reset disk for your Windows 8.1 administrator account on Surface Pro 3, that’s better. Now it comes in handy.
Step 1: When you fail to sign in to Windows 8.1 with an incorrect password, the "Reset password" link will appear on the sign-in screen.
Step 2: Tap or click on the "Reset password" link.
Step 3: Insert your previously password reset disk into your Surface Pro 3 tablet.
Step 4: Follow the "Password Reset Wizard" to reset password.
When finish password reset, you can sign in to your Surface Pro 3 with the new Windows 8.1 admin password.
Way 2: Use reset disk created with Windows Password Geeker.
If you have no any reset disk, never mind, instantly create one with the tool – Windows Password Geeker. Then use it to reset password.
Step 1: Prepare another accessible computer.
As you have forgotten Windows 8.1 admin password and were locked out of your Surface Pro 3 tablet. You need to use another desktop/laptop/surface tablet to create a password reset disk.
Step 2: Create password reset disk.
1. Install Windows Password Geeker on that accessible computer.
2. Insert one USB flash drive into the accessible computer.
Burning successfully means you get a password reset disk.
Step 3: Boot Surface Pro 3 from the reset disk.
1. Start your Surface Pro 3 tablet and enter its UEFI mode.
2. Set it to boot from the usb disk.
3. After it boots, it will loads Windows PE and display Windows Password Geeker screen.
Step 4: Reset Windows 8.1 Admin password.
1. Select Windows 8.1 system running on your Surface Pro 3.
2. Select password forgotten admin account.
3. Click on Reset Password.
Password will be reset to blank. Then you can sign in to your Surface Pro 3 without password.